Exchanges to Internships is a program funded by the United States Embassy in Azerbaijan and administered by American Councils for International Education: ACTR/ACCELS in collaboration with government of Azerbaijan ministries and institutions.
Exchanges to Internships gives the opportunity to alumni of the FLEX program to compete for a 4 month internships with ministries and other key institutions of the government of Azerbaijan. The FLEX program is an exchange program funded by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US State Department and administered by ACCELS that sends outstanding secondary school students from countries in Eurasia to live with American families for a school year.
The goal of Exchanges to Internships is to encourage talented, skilled and enthusiastic young people to get involved in and consider a career in the public service sector of the country. So far, 82 interns have participated in Exchanges to Internships from 2005-2012.
What is Exchanges to Internships?
A four-month, part-time (15-20 hours/week), paid internship in the public service sector.
What are the benefits of the Exchanges to Internships experience?
For the intern:
- an opportunity to gain valuable work experience in the crucial public service sector
- a chance to put to use the skills each intern gained on the FLEX program
- a modest monthly stipend provided by the US Embassy
For the government ministry or institution:
- a talented and enthusiastic additional staff member for four months
Government of Azerbaijan Ministries and Institutions that have hosted Interns include:
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Justice
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Communications and Information Technologies
- Ministry of Culture and Tourism
- Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources
- Ministry of Finance
- Central Bank
- Ministry of Transportation
- Ministry of Economic Development
- State Student Admissions Commission
- Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ministry of Labor and Social Protection
- State Committee on deals of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons
- Ministry of Youth and Sport
Internships are for four months and take place in the spring: February-May or March – June, 2018.
Interns are selected in January 2018 through an interview by a committee of American Councils Azerbaijan and US Embassy staff.